Have you started using Instagram Stories Highlights? Looking for ways to use it to promote your business? Or even just how to set them up in your bio?
Keep reading to learn how to set up Instagram Stories Highlights and how to use them to market your business.
How To Use Instagram Stories Highlights For Business
First: How To Set Up Instagram Stories Highlights
1) First, I highly suggest going into your Story Settings and making sure your Stories save to your archive after 24 hours (the time period when your public Stories are automatically deleted). That way you always have older Stories to draw from and add to future Highlights.
2) Now, one way to start creating Highlights is simply on your bio page. Tap the New plus sign and you can select from any of your Stories saved to your archive.
3) Another way is to go to your Stories Archive, tap the three dots in the upper right-hand corner, and then tap Create Highlight.
4) One more way is to go into your Stories that are currently published. To do this, tap on your bio pic. Once your Stories open up, tap on the Highlight button in the bottom right-hand corner to add a Story video/photo to a current or new Highlight.
Video Tutorial: How To Create And Edit Instagram Story Highlights
If you like visuals, here’s a video tutorial to better explain some of these instructions from my Facebook page.
Instagram Stories Highlights Tips
1) You can add multiple clips and photos to a Highlight. Whenever you add a new Story photo or video to a Highlight it will move to the first position of your Highlights in your bio page. Just something to keep in mind.
2) You can edit the position and which image shows up for your Highlight cover. If you choose to select a video as your Highlight cover, the first frame of the video will be the first to show.
3) When creating the title of your Highlights, you can add up to 15 characters (spaces included). However, only the first 10 characters shows up in your bio feed which can often make the Highlight title confusing to viewers. I definitely suggest trying to keep your titles to 10 characters or less.
4) Add emojis to your titles – everything is better with emojis! 🛋📱🙌
5) Right now I don’t know of a limit to how many Highlights you can have. After five, people will need to swipe to see more of them. But still, highlight away!
Ok, and now for some ideas to market your business with Instagram Stories Highlights:
13 Ways To Promote Your Business With Instagram Stories Highlights
There are like a MILLION BAJILLION ways to promote your business with Highlights. It’s honestly such an amazing feature for businesses using Stories.
Here are just a few:
1) About Me. Let your audience know who are you with a few fun Stories.
2) Product Lines. Share one or multiple displays of product lines in your business.
3) Tutorials. Whether it’s DIY, tech-related, life hacks, etc., giving tips through Highlights is a great way to provide value and be remembered.
4) Seasonal Tips. Everyone LOVES holidays. Consider a seasonal tip you can share and add to your Highlights. Then switch it out as the seasons change.
5) Brand Advertising. Are you an influencer in your field? Consider monetizing one of your Highlights to a brand. You can set a price for this advertising space depending on the length of time you are willing to keep the brand’s highlight on your bio (24 hours, a week, a month, or longer). There’s a world of advertising opportunity right now with Stories Highlights.
6) Crossposting. Sharing another business doesn’t have to mean money. You can also reach out to someone of similar standing and do a Highlight that shares each other’s feed. This is a great way to collaborate and get new followers at zero cost.
7) Giveaways/Giveaway Hashtags. Have a giveaway going on? Make sure to “highlight” it. You can also have a giveaway hashtag that participants must use in a Story clip to be entered. You can then share their clip in your Highlight (this will probably be a big motivation for people to share your giveaway in their Stories).
How do you capture and share a video Story from someone else? You can screen record their clip (see my post at Social Media Examiner on how to do that). Or if on desktop, you can use a Chrome extension such as Chrome IG Story to download the clip and send it to your phone via Airdrop, Simple Transfer Pro, Dropbox, etc.
8) Hashtags, Hashtags, Hashtags. Have a brand hashtag? Highlight it! Have a Facebook group hashtag for a membership or just because? Highlight it! I plan on doing this with my #Couchhustler hashtag.
And don’t forget to add a call-to-action at the end of that Story to share about the membership, free course, giveaway, etc. and how viewers can join in the fun of that hashtag, too. If you have access to the “add link” feature (right now it’s for accounts with 10,000 followers or more), be sure to add a link to that call-to-action clip.
9) Free Stuff. Everyone loves free. If you have lead magnets or some type of digital resource that’s free, devote a Highlight to all that good stuff. Make sure to link it all up. If you don’t have the link feature, tag yourself in the Story and make sure you have the links to all your free stuff in your bio link through a service such as Linktree. And don’t hesitate to share awesome free stuff you see in other people’s Stories or feeds, too (as long as you know they’re ok with that).
10) Other Social Media Platforms. If you’re giving some awesome content on other platforms whether through Facebook Lives, a Facebook group, or YouTubes videos, Highlights are another great way to advertise this. If you can add a direct link to the FB Live, Group, or YouTube video, that would be great. But even just sharing about your latest content is a great way to let people know what they are missing from you at other platforms.
11) Polls. Do you love using the Poll sticker in Stories to get insight from your followers? Why not compile these into a Highlight and continue to get more votes and feedback?
12) Updates. A Highlight dedicated to updates is an easy way for followers to stay updated on your most recent news whether it’s a new podcast episode, blog post, YouTube tutorial, product line, etc.
13) Personal. And by personal I mean Pookie, lol. Well for me, as unprofessional as it may be, right now I have a Highlight that is a growing gallery of my best friend and fur buddy, Pookie. 🐶❤️ Instagram is all about getting personal, so even if you have a business account, consider a Highlight that gives insight into something you love (i.e. hobby, craft, travels, pets).
What do you think? Have you tried Instagram Storie Highlights to promote your business? Have a strategy I missed? Let me know over at Instagram!
Want to remember this tip on how to use Instagram Stories Highlights for your business? Pin this post to your Pinterest account.