Trying to figure out how to make Instagram Highlight covers that match your business branding? Wondering if there’s an app that can quickly get the job done?
Well, there are PLENTY of design apps nowadays that make vertical design a breeze. But for this topic, I’m going to share how you can create Instagram Highlight covers in just a few minutes on your phone with the Canva app.
What Are Instagram Highlights?
Before I get started, if you’re unfamiliar with Instagram Highlights, they are collections of Story clips that you can add permanently to your bio. They’re now for your Instagram bio what your menu header is to your website. They’re categories that give your audience a chance to know you and your business better.
Many businesses that are taking advantage of this feature in Instagram are also adding one Story that serves as that Highlight’s cover. By using the same styling for each of these covers, they are infusing their visual branding into their Instagram bio. Here are some examples below:
If you’d like more information on the basics of adding Highlights, here’s a quick tutorial:
Make Instagram Highlight Covers with the Canva App
Now on to how to easily create Instagram Highlight covers in minutes right from your phone (if you like video tutorials, scroll all the way down).
Create A Branded Vertical Background
First, you’ll need to decide on the background and how to make sure it’s consistent with your branding. Here are three suggestions:
A) Take my free 4-Day Design Challenge. You’ll learn how to make custom branded backgrounds on your phone that you can repurpose again and again for social media designs.
B) Use the Type feature in Instagram Stories. If you’re familiar with Instagram Stories, this is an easy way to get a pretty gradient background.
To do so:
1. Swipe to Instagram Stories and then swipe through the tools at the bottom until you get to TYPE.
2. Tap the tiny circle at the bottom left of the screen until you hopefully find a gradient that’s close to your branding.
3. Now we need to get rid of the “Tap To Type” message so you have a solid background. To do this, tap and type any letter (no worries about what you type). Then tap the white circular arrow.
4. Now press on what you wrote and slide it down into the trashcan.
5. Then tap Save in the bottom left-hand corner of your screen and you have a solid vertical background for your Highlight covers.
C) Just choose a solid color for your background once inside the Canva app. You’ll see how in just a minute.
Add Icons to Your Instagram Highlight Covers in the Canva App
Obviously there are no rules to creating your Instagram Highlight covers. Some add a text title to theirs and others add an icon or symbol. We’re going to do the latter because Canva makes it so easy to do.
1. Once in Canva, swipe up top until you find the “Your Story” option. Then tap the Blank option below.
2. On the next screen, tap the background. Here is where you could choose a solid color. But let’s upload from the camera roll.
3. Once the background is uploaded, tap the black and white plus sign in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen. Now you should see a bunch of fabulous options. Tap Graphics.
4. There are so many creative possibilities with these graphics. What I did was first choose a circle graphic. I changed the color to dark grey and made the circle smaller by adjusting the corners.
Important Note: Be careful with sizing. If you go too large with your graphics, it may not all show up in your Instagram bio. Everything should fit in the center area of your design.
5. After adding the circle, I tapped the plus sign again, tapped Graphics, and then chose an icon for the center.
6. Tap Share once you’re satisfied and save to your camera roll.
7. Repeat this process as many times as you’d like. As far as I know, you can have as many Highlight groups in your Instagram bio. However, the first five are the most important because that’s how many will fit into your bio screen without a viewer having to swipe to see more.
Video Tutorial: How to Make Instagram Highlight Covers with the Canva App
If you’d like the video tutorial that also shows the upload process, come visit me at Facebook and humor me with a bit of engagement.😆 You’ll get the tutorial via Messenger.
So what do you think? Is this helpful for quickly making Instagram Highlight covers? Do you have a different app you’ve used to make your covers? There are PLENTY of options but I’m really happy with how the Canva app is coming along. It was a bit rough in its infancy, in my opinion.
Please feel free to reach out to me at Instagram with tips or questions. I love connecting with business owners there!
Want to remember this tutorial on how to make Instagram Highlight covers with the Canva app? Just pin the following image to your Pinterest account.